Position Title Technical Leader – Die Casting - MO #5738
Location Hannibal, MO
Leads and directs all activities of plant Technical Department including Engineering and Process.
As a member of the plant leadership team, participates in strategic business planning, lean initiatives and encompasses Core Operating Values and Infinite Excellence in daily activities and in the attainment of department strategies and goals.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES - ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
(Listed in order of time-spent or importance). Includes the following, but not limited to:
1. Provides technical leadership to the Plant. Sets clear and measurable goals and expectations for the Technical Department that are in line with plant and company strategies and goals.
2. Provides oversight through the New Product Review process on product launches to ensure cost/budget, performance, and timing commitments are achieved. This includes, ensuring customer requirements are understood and met, ensuring successful execution of changes and launching of new products, and ensuring customer satisfaction.
3. Oversees the implementation of Engineering standards and controlled processes for both customer and internal engineering changes.
4. Provides oversight of tooling ensuring tooling design is controlled and documented through the PDM process.
5. Partners with Commercial Program Managers in cross-functional product team environment.
6. Oversees process improvement/optimization activities. Ensures all processes are properly documented and provides a robust method for change management in all processes including:
• selection of special characteristics;
• capability of MSA;
• continuous improvement;
• internal audits; and
• timely responses to corrective action for all customer complaints.
7. Leads lean manufacturing initiatives and incorporates lean and continuous improvement concepts in all department activities and completion of projects.
8. Provides technical support to the Operations team through documented problem solving and continuous improvement methods.
9. Manages working relationships with customers, suppliers and other key external contacts.
10. Contributes to and supports the existence of a positive work environment through personal involvement by communicating, interacting and behaving in a manner that promotes productive relationships with coworkers, supervisors, customers, and others with whom such relationships are important to the success of company operations.
11. Performs other duties as assigned and participates in ad hoc projects as needed.
12. Provides guidance, sets expectations, clarifies responsibilities, and provides feedback for team members in accomplishing tasks and goals.
13. Builds and maintains teamwork within team and within plant. Resolves conflicts between team members and with other teams. Facilitates in maintaining positive team member relations and morale.
14. Mentors and trains direct reports and ensure their development is progressing.
15. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, applicable laws, and Core Operating Values.
QUALIFICATIONS – Education, Certifications, Training, Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or a Science-related degree
• Minimum of 8 years of progressive work experience in areas of Engineering, Quality and Process in a manufacturing environment, and
4+ years experience in project management, including meeting facilitation and presentation experience
• Training and demonstrated knowledge and experience in Lean Manufacturing/Continuous Improvement, and IATF/ISO standards
• Experience working with large tonnage die cast machines and with casting structural components
• Magnesium casting experience (or perm. mold, gravity cast, etc.)
• Automotive or equivalent experience (powertrain, body and assembly, etc.)
• Certification or advanced training in IATF16949, Lean Manufacturing, and Six Sigma
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (required, unless stated as preferred)
Computer, Technical, Mechanical, Mathematical and/or Scientific Skills
• Proficient skills in MS Word and Excel.
• Advanced skills in CAD, PQ2, and 5s and visual factory concepts. Proficient GD&T skills preferred.
• Advanced knowledge in the following is preferred: 1) gating, runner design, PQ2 diagrams, atomization, gate velocity, and tool design; 2) Statistical Process Control (SPC) techniques and programs; and 3) blue print/part print reading skills.
• Solid understanding and experience in mold flow modeling simulations and interpretations.
Communication skills – Verbal, Written, Training, Presenting, etc.
• Advanced oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with customers, suppliers, other external contacts and with all levels employees and management with persuasiveness, tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to make effective presentations, conduct productive meetings, and lead group discussions.
Problem Solving and Decision Making skills
• Advanced problem solving and decision making skills, utilizing knowledge, experience, research, and data to identify multiple alternatives, and identifies more than one consequence for each alternative. Ability to apply critical and creative thinking skills to make decisions and solve broader and more complex problems.
• Demonstrated ability to use technical knowledge, research, facts and decision models to make complex decisions, capture opportunities, and mitigate risk.
• Ability to make sound business decisions and judgments.
Leadership skills and/or Project Management skills
• Strong supervisory skills. Ability to lead and develop a highly productive and cohesive work team that is focused on meeting performance, productivity, quality, safety and customer service goals. Strong team training and development skills.
Other- additional skills, travel and shift/schedule requirements, etc.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Proficient skills in implementing change, ensuring understanding, participation and ownership.
• Proficient skills in conflict resolution, handling face-to-face confrontations and team disagreements.
• Ability to deal with stressful situations with tact and professionalism.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, including balancing priorities and deliverables.
• Must be able to travel to other company and customer sites as required.
Bottom line requirements we need notes on with candidate submittal:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or a Science-related degree.
2. 8+ years of progressive work experience in areas of Engineering, Quality and Process in a manufacturing environment.
3. 4+ years of experience in project management, including meeting facilitation and presentation experience.
4. Training and demonstrated knowledge and experience in Lean Manufacturing/Continuous Improvement, and IATF/ISO standards.
5. Experience working with large tonnage die cast machines and with casting structural components.