As a strong leader and people manager, the Operations Manager must effectively manage an operation that includes warehousing, processing, CAD and Shipping. The emphasis is on providing quality customer service, maintaining and promoting a safe work environment and to capture all opportunities to improve productivity, efficiency and cost control.
• Applying Laws, Rules and Regulations
• Mediating and Negotiating
• Coaching and Mentoring
• Team Work
• Research and Analysis
• Time Management
• Quality Orientation
• Development and Continual Learning
• High Energy and Engagement Level
• Ethics and Integrity
• Creative and Innovative Thinking
• Problem Solving
• Accountability and Dependability
• Decision making and Judgement
• Understand Operating Equipment
• Understanding of Health and Safety Environment
• Planning and Organizing
• Financial Competence
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
• Plan day-to-day operations, assign manpower, authorize overtime and control costs.
• Perform capacity planning for equipment, floor space and manpower requirements in accordance with forecasted workload.
• Implementation and maintenance of the branch quality program.
• Assist in the development of capital expenditures, budgetary requests and maintenance programs.
• Coordinate with all departments to ensure production standards and branch goals are achieved.
• Development and coaching of employees, delegate effectively and give meaningful feedback and recognition where appropriate.
• Management of employees including work performance, hiring, terminating and discipline as necessary.
• Operate a warehouse Continuous Improvement Program to align with quality principles.
• Ensure that the business operates within corporate guidelines and all legislative requirement
Health & Safety:
• Ensure all employees work in compliance with OSHA and the Russel Metals Corporate Safety policies and procedures.
• Advise workers of potential and actual hazards.
• Provide workers with written instructions as to the measures and procedures to be taken for protection of the worker.
• Take every reasonable precaution in the circumstances for the protection of workers.
• Ensure all incidents are reported, investigated and that recommendations for prevention are effective.
• Ensure workplace inspections are conducted in accordance with legislation and policy and that equipment is maintained at a safe level and within legislative requirements and standards.
• Ensure all employees are properly trained and qualified to perform their duties.
• Ensure employees are following all safe work procedures and policies including using the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
• Work with the Regional Health & Safety Manager to ensure proper training materials are available and in developing return to work programs requiring temporary accommodation.
Education & Skills Required:
• Minimum of College diploma in engineering, business administration or related discipline or equivalent experience.
• Several years of management/supervisory experience in warehousing, manufacturing and/or a production environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills with proven leadership ability (lead, motivate, delegate).
• Strong analytical, time management and organizational skills.
• Strong planning, decision making, oral and written communication skills.
• Strong project management skills.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
• Experienced in metals processing activities; shearing, plasma burning, saw cutting and oxy fuel cutting.
• Prior experience in process improvement programs is beneficial (i.e: lean manufacturing).
Experience with the following!
- Processes, this is 90 employe shop including truck drivers, incumbent is retiring
- Cut to length Sawing
- Miter Sawing
- Tee Splitting
- CNC Structural Shearing & Punching
- CNC Plate Punching
- CNC Plate Drilling, Counter Sink and Tapping
- Sheet & Plate Shearing
- CNC Press Brake
- CNC Plasma/Oxy-fuel & High-Def Plasma Burning
- CNC Beam Drill
- Structural Rolling
- Stud Welding
- Primer painting