This position requires the ability to fabricate precision fixtures, gages or proto-type parts from raw material to finish product using wire EDM, 4 axis vertical CNC, CNC OD/ID grinders, CNC lathe, precision grinding & measuring equipment. A big plus would be knowledge of the following CAD programming systems: Pro MFG (CREO), Master CAM & PEPS
Plans and performs the work necessary to construct, alter, repair and inspect moderate to higher complex fixtures, gages, tools and proto-type models using a variety of tool room equipment.
Level I Tool and Gage Technician
• Works on moderate to highly complex tool and gage making projects following technical instructions of the supervisor and lead person.
• Performs the more difficult machining work on complicated details to meet exact dimensional and finish requirements, using at least three of the pieces of equipment listed: (3 and 4 axis CNC mill, CNC lathe, CNC grinder, wire EDM, surface grinders).
• Analyzes assignments and establishes a process to fabricate from start to finish any gage, fixture or proto-type using tool room equipment efficiently.
• Analyzes blueprints, sketches, models, and project functionality to develop a process strategy that achieves the highest quality product.
• Has the ability to communicate effectively.
• Responds to trouble calls from shop departments as requested or assigned. Investigates the difficulty of the tasks and makes needed repairs and adjustments required in a timely manner. Informs supervisor of recurring repair work or trouble calls and recommends changes to minimize or eliminate the trouble while documenting this observation on the work order to archive in the lessons learned database.
• Works closely with the engineering departments in development of models and prototypes.
• Ability to optimize process quality and efficiency.
• Ability to operate sophisticated measuring equipment to ensure that all quality specifications are met.
• Able to program, set-up and operate a variety of CNC machines using the following software: (pt4, Auto-Cad, PEPS).
• Strong understanding of pneumatic and hydraulic systems as they relate to fixtures.
• Has a practical understanding of 5S and Lean Manufacturing concepts.
• Understands the basic principles of ISO and AS9100.