The Staff Accountant reports to the Chief Financial Officer. This position assists in maintaining and controlling the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization, applying the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and a thorough review of financial records.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Assist the CFO with the day-to-day, monthly, quarterly, and year-end operations of the Accounting/Finance Department including budget review and analysis.
* Perform the processing and recording of accounts payable transactions and ensure that all invoices and staff reimbursements are paid accurately and in accordance with Finance policies and procedures
* Manage the processing of cash receipts, recording of revenue and receivable and work closely with the Front Office team, Southeast Broach, and MHIA to ensure that revenues and receivables are reconciled with data at any given time.
* Review and process expense reports and receipts submitted by cardholders on a monthly basis.
* Perform the processing of functional and benefits expense allocations, monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, fixed assets depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries, if necessary.
* Perform general accounts analysis and reconciliations, including bank statements, fixed assets, employer's benefit costs, accruals, and prepaid expenses.
* Assist in the preparation of financial reports such as financial statements, budget performance, and interim grant financial reporting.
* Other duties as assigned by management.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
* Monitor and collect data to assess accuracy and integrity; analyze data; ensure compliance with applicable standards (i.e. GAAP), rules, regulations, and systems of internal control; interpret and evaluate results, prepare documentation; create financial reports and/or presentations.
* Familiar with FASB 116, FASB 117 and OMB - 133
* Knowledge of MIP/Sage Fund Accounting and JobBoss is a plus.
* Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in order to meet tight deadlines in a fast- paced and dynamic work environment.
* Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
* Be able to demonstrate attention to details and good-record-keeping
* Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point, especially Excel).
* Hands-on detail-oriented tasks.
* Team player and can collaborate with other teams in the organization.
* High level of interpersonal skills with demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy.
* Demonstrate a proficient level of professional skill and/or knowledge in accounting and keep current with developments and trends.
* Knowledge and ability to use applicable information technology and systems to meet work needs.
* Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to clearly communicate issues to all levels of management.
* High degree of integrity and honesty
* Relevant work experience (i.e. internships, summer positions, school jobs)
* Effective interpersonal and communication skills; adaptive to change, creativity & self-confidence; leadership qualities; team-oriented and collaborative;
* Critical thinking/problem solving skills
* Ability to work independently and manage multiple assignments in a dynamic environment