The Production Planner is responsible for developing a production schedule and implementing it daily. This position reports to the Production Supervisor and works with other staff to help keep schedules on track and in-house inventory at a minimum. The role supports multiple departments to meet customer requirements for on-time delivery and production efficiency. This position requires strong organizational and communication skills to identify and mitigate the planning of project schedules. Coordination with purchasing, operations, quality, and sales is required to develop project timelines for all new orders to maintain workload balance and achievable manufacturing schedules.
- Issues daily/weekly production schedule. Adjusts and expedites as required to achieve required customer service levels.
- Works with each department to help identify issues and needs
- Monitors progress to ensure the schedule is being met; Adjusting for problems that occur during production including labor resources, material shortages, and unexpected delays.
- Makes recommendations and participates in process improvement activities to help improve efficiencies.
- Helps to identify opportunities for cost savings, prioritize expedite requests, identify the need for rescheduling or shifting priorities.
- Assists with the development and implementation of new processes.
- Manages customer order backlog, status, and maintenance.
- Monitors daily order entry reports and communicates scheduling problems and concerns to the Customer Service Team.
- Reviews and recommends the disposition of excess and obsolete inventory.
- Assists management in resolving problems concerning over shipments, shortages, engineering changes and cancellations of orders.
- Audits bills of materials and routings regularly to resolve discrepancies. Reports the accuracy on a monthly basis.
- Process non-conforming materials report for defective material to ensure problems are resolved and replacement material is obtained.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3 plus years of job-related experience. 3-5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to interact well at all levels of the organization. Ability to act as a liaison between Customer Service, Manufacturing and Engineering.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure and manage a number of projects simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written skills.
- Strong computer skills,
- Negotiating, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be capable of working independently and as a team player. Must be able to set the direction for daily work in the absence of the Production Supervisor.
- Must possess a thorough understanding of materials, scheduling, inventory control, and planning functions as well as a solid understanding of a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to provide solutions to a wide variety of problems and use sound judgment in decision-making processes.